The Daily 750









. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .
Send a (burgundy Italian leather Pollini Miryam Signature*) Bag O' Money To Indulge My Latest Passion

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Really, I'll do anything to keep from working on the inside of this 100-year-old house. Painting? Okay, I love to paint. All the other stuff is . . . "Work!?", and I tend to channel Maynard G. Krebs. I need a new passion. I've designed and planted the yard (several times over, and don't have the knees to do it again) -- so now what?

Fashion.

Three months ago I read James Lileks, The New York Times, the Washington Post. First thing every morning. Now I read The Manolo, Go Fug Yourself, and regularly look for a new Snarkywood.

This could be a time management problem. Or a head-in-sand problem. The new reading is mostly pictures, and never politics. Fashion does have its lengthy and complex analyses (see Almost Girl, "where Prada meets Plato") and its politics, but the tragedies of Anna Sui's fall 2006 collection can't be compared with the failed designs of our leaders in Washington, DC.

There's another gal, Erin. I don't know who she is but she writes -- and often sews -- A Dress A Day. Here's a graf from today's blog. I know exactly what she means -- except for the sewing part. And "forsythia" is known around here as forcynthia. I don't have one, but I have many hyacynthias.
Now that it's February I'm dying to sew for spring. It's because I grew up in the south; I think spring starts right after the shiftless folks take down their giant blinking inflatable outdoor Santa. I walk out of my front door every day now thinking "Where's my forsythia?" I'll be shivering in cotton prints on March 1 again, I just know it.


*