The Daily 750









. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .
We Need A Shrubbery

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Spectator I: I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers".
Mrs. Gregory: Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?
Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
-- Monty Python, "The Life of Brian"
If, like me, you listened to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales testify about wire-tapping and the FISA law before the Senate Judiciary Committee Monday, lines from "Life of Brian" may be running through your mind. The hearing was good theater, if you like snakes hissing at each other, and I do. The gist of Gonzales's remarks to the Democrats' outrage, if I may rely again on farce, is "Jane, you ignorant slut."

There was also this interesting exchange after the hearings:

Reporter: The Attorney General says that FISA allows intercepts that are otherwise authorized by statute, and he also says that was authorized in the Authorization of Force Act.

Senator Dick Durbin [D-IL]: [unintelligable]

Reporter: Well, if you disagree with that argument, why don' t you go on the floor and try to get a vote, and have the Senate say whether or not the authorization of "all force necessary" . . .

Durbin: I don't know . . . Who do you work for, incidentally?

Reporter: Powerline and Pajamas Media.

Durbin: Jamas Media.

Reporter: Pajahmas Media.

Durbin: Pajahma Media, okay. I'm sorry, I wasn't familiar with your publication. . . . [some kind of baloney masquerading as substance] . . . I'll check on Pajamaline, but I'm not familiar with your publication.

Reporter: Dan Rather knows something about it.

The reporter is Andrew Marcus, for Pajamas Media, cofounded by Roger Simon and Little Green Football's blogger Charles Johnson, and including on its advisory board a luminous list as diverse as Tammy Bruce and Mark Steyn. It's the NPR of the blogosphere. Check it out.